I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK.
They know me here...

Translate

Friday, March 9, 2012

Email from a Reader

Have you ever sent an email or letter to an author when you were touched by their work so much that you just had to let them know?

I've done it several times but it wasn't until the other day that I realised how much an author appreciates this type of letter.

A friend (who rarely reads any sort of fiction book) sent this one to me.
Hi there, dear Kylie,

I have reached chapter 21 [in VENGEANCE BORN]. Chapter 20 was a great reminder of a special moment many years ago. Thank you for taking me back.

It's hard to explain such a personal subject but since my back pain has been such a problem, moments like those are a memory, feelings that is. Your words stirred them up again.

I haven't read any further as yet as I'd like the feeling to remain in my mind awhile and not get re-lost in life's problems.

I do hope I've made sense. It's my way of saying a big thank you. So when I see you again in person you may just have to get a major big hug. ♥ :)
To know that something you wrote evoked such powerful memories and feelings is one of the reasons why I love to write.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Kylie,
    Hugs from friends are never to be sneezed at and even more welcome when you've done something extra to deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really special letter Kylie. And if you're like me, something like this will give you a boost - like a shot of confidence and energy - to keep going.

      I just read an interview with a screenwriter and former actor and he spoke of how hard it is to be an actor. As I was reading, I couldn't help but think about the similarities of being an author. That same fear of rejection - and yet knowing it's an undeniable reality of our professions.

      What struck me, though, with regard to your letter above was that he said (and forgive me for not quoting exactly because I lost the page!!)is that all that actors (authors) can hope for is to find someone who believes in them; someone/s who appreciate them and their talent and this will give the actor (author) the strength to go on.

      Okay, not saying here that you need the 'strength to go on', LOL, but we all have dark moments where we doubt ourselves and our ability to keep doing what we do. That's when we pull out letters like these and remind ourselves...

      Gosh, I got all dark and serious, and I didn't even answer your question. But I enjoyed myself, and as it's all about 'me' then that's all that counts, right? LOL.

      Thanks Kylie - love your work. :-)

      Delete
    2. No rejection of the hug when it comes my way *VBG*.

      Delete
  2. Kaz, I totally get where you're coming from. I have a file/folder where I put all these sorts of warm fuzzies and drag them out when things get tough.

    ReplyDelete